Welcome to the Lord Nelson Inn

This old historic building is thought to be dated back to the late 16th Century where it was originally built as a small thatched farmhouse. Due to the demands of passing traders from Birmingham to Coventry, the building became a Turnpike providing shelter and pasture for grazing horse. Bread was baked in a bake house which was situated where the Victory Restaurant now stands.

Around 1870, Ale was brewed where the Mary Rose Restaurant is now situated. This is when the establishment became known as 'The Lord Nelson Inn'. About this time, coal mines were sunk and the local settlement grew into a mining village.

Flowers and Sons Brewery later bought the property and a variety of alterations took place. By 1897, the room now known as the 'Victory Restaurant' was converted into a concert room.

The Sperrin family came to the property in 1974. Extensive renovations and alterations were needed; with their perceptive eyes and a great deal of hard work, the establishment was soon made 'shipshape'. By 1982, the 'Lord Nelson' had also become well known as an eating house. Today it is still run very much as a family business. January 11th 2012 the Sperrin family opened a Brewery at the Lord Nelson called The Sperrin Brewery and their first real ale was named " Band of Brothers". The unanswerable question has always been 'Why is it called the Lord Nelson Inn?'. There is no confirmed evidence, but it is reputed that maybe Lord Horatio Nelson and Lady Hamilton called here on one of their many journeys around the country.

Lord Nelson Inn Restaurant


Blue Boar Inn Restaurant

Sister Pub & Micro Brewery

The Lord Nelson Inn is home to a microbrewery that extends the property, known as the Sperrin Brewery, which is a midlands based, award winning brewery that has an ever growing selection of real ales, ciders and lagers.

The Lord Nelson Inn also has a sister pub and restaurant, which has built in accommodation. The Blue Boar Inn was built in the 1940's completed during the early part of the Second World War. It was built behind the old Blue Boar, a lot smaller establishment, which was then demolished. At the time, the road outside was the main A5, and the new Blue Boar became a very busy pub.

It is located on the outskirts of Atherstone, within easy reach of the A5, M42 and M6. We offer high quality Bed and Breakfast accommodation at competitive rates, suitable for business people and families alike. (Two large family rooms are available). All rooms are en suite, with tea/coffee making facilities and flat screen tv with freeview. Breakfast is included and is served in Monty's the cosier of our two restaurants.